Memorial Day is right around the corner but did you know that May is Military Appreciation Month! Back in 1999, Congress designated May as the National Military Appreciation month. This was an effort to ensure that the nation had an opportunity to show their appreciation for the sacrifices and successes made by our past and present service members. Don’t let this month pass you by without doing something (other than an awesome barbecue) to show your love to your local active duty, Guard, Reserve and military veterans. We would not have half of the freedoms we have without them. Here are 15 ways for you to honor them for their sacrifice and service to our wonderful country.
If you would like to donate funds
- Visit Wounded Warrior Project and give a one time or set up a monthly gift. The mission of Wounded Warrior Project is to honor and empower wounded warriors. Their vision is to foster the most successful, well-adjusted generation of wounded service members in our nation’s history.
- Donate to your local VA Hospital. Here’s a quick link to the VA Medical Center in Minneapolis.
- Give a donation to the American Red Cross to advance their efforts to help those in the military and their families.
If you are looking for some unique products that give back
- Visit Pin-Ups For Vets and buy a calendar. This nonprofit’s mission is a throwback to the old pin-up calendars that soldiers would take with them to war to give them courage. The proceeds go towards hospitalized veterans.
- Do your Amazon shopping at smile.amazon.com instead and a certain percentage of your purchase will be donated to your organization of choice (Wounded Warrior Project or your local VA Hospital are just a couple examples that you could choose from!).
- Shop for some new clothes at American Built - a company owned by veterans and which benefits veterans.
- Need a cocktail to go with your Memorial Day Barbeque? Visit Heroes Vodka to order from a veteran founded company that gives a percentage of their profits back to AMVETS and other similar organizations.
If you are a business owner or manager
- Offer a special discount to veterans and current members of the military on Memorial Day or throughout the whole month.
- Hire a veteran or two...or ten! What better way to give back to service members and their families!
If you would like to donate your time
- You can volunteer with Pin-Ups For Vets as a “pin-up girl” and deliver calendars and visit veterans who may not have had visitors for a long time
- Volunteer at the VA Medical Center in Minneapolis, working with patients or behind the scenes
There are so many great ways to honor our past and present military members. If you have any suggestions on ways people can show their appreciation this month or any other time of the year, we would love to hear your feedback. Comment below or on our Facebook page to share your thoughts with others.
On behalf of Willwerscheid Funeral Home and Cremation Service, thank you to all past veterans and current military service men and women. We owe you all a great deal and are so thankful for the sacrifice you have given for us, and for our country!