Benefits of Mourning Together
1. Wisdom Imparted – Alongside others who have been through similar journeys, you can learn from those who are farther ahead in the process. From advice, personal insight, helpful thoughts and suggestions; your group leader and members can impart loads of wisdom into you. ?
2. The Power of Belonging – Every one of us was wired for connection–without it, we cannot live as our truest selves. Our deepest need to feel connected can be fulfilled by being a part of a support group. In the right grief group, you’ll find people who have had similar experiences, understand the pain you’re in and accept you as you are. ?
3. Hope Builder – Because groups are often led by someone who has been through a loss themselves, you will often come in contact with those who have been through similar situations, yet have been able to find new life. You will have a chance to see group members who are doing well and finding ways to heal. Seeing tangible people who are healing can bring hope that you can find the same healing. ?
If you are able to find the right grief support group, you will benefit in many ways. This list from Hello Grief gives a good idea of what you may find in your group:
- Emotional and physical support in a safe and non-judgmental environment.?
- Support and understanding from others who have experienced a similar loss.?
- The opportunity to begin the healing process through sharing your own story and hearing the stories of others.?
- Coping skills to help you through the most difficult days of your grief journey.?
- Hope through companionship with people who “get it” and understand first-hand what you’re going through.?
- The opportunity to discover new traditions and ideas to keep loved ones present in your hearts and in your memories.
- Increased understanding of how children and other family members react to loss.
- Permission to grieve and permission to live a happy productive life.?
Finding Your Group
Once you’re ready to visit a grief support group, you can use some of the resources below to help you find the right one. Remember that not every group will be perfect and it may take some time to find the right one. Don’t be hard on yourself if you don’t see the benefits of joining the group right away. Healing takes time. We hope that your journey to wholeness can begin today.
For those who have lost a child:
Allina has a great list with all different types of grief support groups
*You can also search this website for something closer to your location
Here’s another list from Survivor Resources