Who wants to talk about planning their own funeral? Not many people are comfortable with the topic of death and dealing with end of life issues. However, pre-planning a funeral is one of the best practical ways to help your family once you have passed away. There are many steps you can take to help prepare your family for your loss. It is surprising how making funeral arrangements ahead of time can draw a family closer together. This is especially true if death comes over an extended period of time. In the case of sudden death, pre-planning a funeral truly helps those left behind to cope with the trauma and stress of losing a person so unexpectedly.
Here is a list of decisions everyone must make when preplanning a funeral. You can use this list to initiate a discussion with your family and to make your wishes known.
- Decide on the type of service you want and where you want it to take place.
- Decide if you want to be cremated, buried, or another alternative.
- Decide if you want to have a visitation for mourners. If yes, determine the specifics.
- Decide on who you want involved with the funeral from pall bearers to readers to the officiate. Decide on the funeral home you want involved.
- Determine how the funeral will be paid for and designate someone to manage the funds (Here are some helpful articles on MMA prepaying for your funeral and 5 Options for Paying for your Funeral).
- Make sure you have a current will in place. This is very important if you want a say in what any of your money or assets are used for. Within the will, you name an executor. It is critically important to determine who you want named as the Executor of your estate.This is a legal position and if you have any type of estate it is critical to assign this position otherwise the state will do this job and determinations may not be what you want (more info on estate planning here and here).
All of these pre-planning decisions can be done years in advance of a death. Whether it is days, weeks, months, or years until you pass away, help yourself and your family by preparing the way. Willwerscheid Funeral and Cremation is ready to help you along the way in making these important decisions. Contact us today or fill out our simple form to start the conversation today.